After being in development for 2+ years, we have recently announced the availability of our white label online games platform as a cloud service. We design and build this platform from the ground up, leveraging learning from decades of experience building, deploying and running large scale online games platforms at a number of industry leading game developers and publishers.
We have been very fortunate that a number of large game developers and publishers have licensed our platform. These early adopters have been customizing, deploying, integrating and running our platform as a significant part of their online games ecosystem. Throughout the process, they have provided us with meaningful feedback, giving us confidence that our platform is ready for wider use.
I would like to share our thought process behind releasing our platform as a cloud service.
- Low cost of entry but flexible. This means that our platform has to be affordable. It also needs to be customizable so that our clients can integrate and implement functionalities that fit their needs without compromising and adding unnecessary complexity.
- Being transparent. Building and running platforms for online games is a significant undertaking with a lot of moving pieces. It is important that we are transparent and share our expertise and learnings.
- Customization at the source code level. Each game is unique and will need bespoke logic that is flexible and performant. Hence we think it is critical to be able to customize and extend our platform at the source code level.
What’s unique about our solution.
- Single Tenant. Each of our clients will have their own dedicated infrastructure. This means (1) Our client’s game won’t be impacted by the bug or high load from other games, (2) Our clients have direct and full ownership of their player/game data. We can do this because data and compute between different clients are not shared, and (3) Backend services can be extended in the source code level, which allow game logic to be pushed to backend. This will facilitate frequent updates to the game, which is key to operating a game as a service.
- Full Ownership. We facilitate ultimate control through ownership of source code and infrastructure through our enterprise licensing option. This flexibility can become useful when our client has a hugely successful game.
- Access to Our Engineering Talent. Our engineers are available 24/7, and spread across North America, Europe, and Asia. They are available to help customize and extend our cloud platform, as well as to deploy and ensure that your online services are up and running.
We design our cloud solution to add value to our clients from the beginning and continue to grow with our clients’ needs.
- Our clients can focus on their game and get to market faster by using our online feature sets, infrastructure and customization as a cloud service.
- We help our clients with capacity planning and live technical operations when the game launches.
- Player/game data can help game team iterate and build a better game experience. This data also helps increase the valuation of the game studio.
- In the long run, we encourage our clients to have full control and ownership through enterprise licensing option.
Bottom line: We want to be successful when our clients are successful.
So what’s next?
Our platform and team continues to grow, and we are adding new features and tech at an even faster pace.
We are also building new framework to allow gameplay engineers to write completely new backend features with little to no online background. Our framework will abstract out our APIs, event streams, push and callback mechanism, and data persistency. This pipeline and infrastructure tech that accompany the framework will allow new backend services to run seamlessly with the rest of the ecosystem with the same level of security, scalability, and reliability.
We are also talking to a number of potential partners to build up an ecosystem of service providers on top of our cloud platform to better serve our clients. Please contact me if you are interested to be a part of our ecosystem.